Hogwarts Medieval

The magic lives on! Step back in time (about 700 years, to be exact) and enter Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, only a few centuries after it was founded!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» A Skurge Upon All (2nd Year)
9/8/2017, 10:42 pm by Mira Catrain

» Epoximise! (2nd Year)
7/5/2017, 11:15 pm by Marigold Belet

» A Noble Rescue
7/5/2017, 10:55 pm by Marigold Belet

» Tea Leaves, Anyone?
6/27/2017, 1:20 am by Petyr Martell

» Halloween Dance! (1351)
6/23/2017, 11:46 pm by Headmistress Ellington

» "Report Cards"
6/20/2017, 6:42 pm by Kolby Parry

» Party Prep!
8/12/2016, 1:15 am by Deirdre McCalahan

» Party Like a Badger!
7/25/2016, 1:36 am by Deirdre McCalahan

» Some Fresh Air
7/23/2016, 9:29 pm by Professor Renoir

» Quidditch Tryouts 1351
7/23/2016, 9:12 pm by Arya Lannister

Beware!
 photo b9a721cd-7e6b-4cda-a1f4-a3706998472b_zpsa363bf54.jpg
Top posting users this month
Mira Catrain

Adelaine Beaumont

Arya Lannister

Ratings!

Shadowplay Topsites

Share | 

Textbooks Galore at Flourish and Blotts!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dimia Falaise
Gryffindor: Year 1

PostSubject: Textbooks Galore at Flourish and Blotts!   9/30/2013, 11:02 pm

Dimia couldn't believe how long the textbook list was for first years. This is crazy!she thought, looking down the list.

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk
A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling
A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

Dimia shook her head and looked around for her nursemaid. Her father was to "busy" as usual. Crazy old loon.she thought with a smile. She loved her father but he was a bit.......umm.......well, unusual.

"Found them!"her nursemaid called out from a table. Dimia rushed over, accidentally bumping into someone.

"Oh! I'm so sorry!"Dimia said, helping them pick up their newly purchased text books.
Back to top Go down
Reyna Fendrel
Ravenclaw: Year 1

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks Galore at Flourish and Blotts!   10/1/2013, 12:04 pm

Reyna and her parents had spent the afternoon in Diagon Alley exploring. It was all quite odd, and these people were very peculiar; but this was where Reyna belonged now, apparently, so her family insisted she give it a try. Until now, they had never taken her into the wizarding world.

Dear, why don’t you go and get your books?” her lady mother suggested, handing over the parchment. “You’re going to have to get into the habit of doing things for yourself as it is.

But why can’t you come with me?” Reyna implored sullenly. “What if something happens to me?

Her father scoffed and straightened his already straight belt. Lord Brendyn had never been the nurturing type, and Lady Marla was somewhat dim in the mind. It really was a wonder Reyna had such a good head on her shoulders. Her little sister was rather witless, and her older brother, Symon, was as cold as her father.

Go and fetch your books,” her father said shortly, thus ending the conversation.

She watched with a frown as her parents headed in the direction of the pet shop; perhaps they would get her an owl. Turning down an alleyway, Reyna sidled along the cobblestones with her head down, not wishing to make eye contact with anyone.

Hogwarts?” the shopkeeper asked when she entered the store.

Reyna gave a small nod, and the man wandered off to the back to get the books; she clearly wasn’t his first future-student of the day. She stood up straight at the counter, hands folded behind her back, and glanced around. The bookshop was still quite new, but slightly messy all the same.

Here ye go,” the man said, hefting a stack of books onto the counter.

She paid him, lifted the stack, and turned to go, only to have someone crash into her and send her books flying. Reyna gathered the books into a pile and gave the girl a polite smile.

It’s quite alright, really,” she assured her. “My name is Reyna; and you are?
Back to top Go down
Dimia Falaise

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks Galore at Flourish and Blotts!   10/8/2013, 10:04 pm

"Dimia. Dimia Falaise."Dimia said, introducing herself. She glanced at her nursemaid. She was making hand signals. [i]"Apologize."[/b]she mouthed. Dimia nodded.

"I do apologize for the mess. I was just excited to be getting my own and start my first year at Hogwarts. I'm guessing this is your first year too?"Dimia asked, apologizing and making polite conversation. Her red were a little red. She was nervous. She hadn't been out of the castle for quite sometime so she felt awkward. Her friends, whom she hadn't seen since mother died, had abandoned her, pretending not to recognize her. So, she was quite lonely. But, hopefully, seven years at Hogwarts would change that.
Back to top Go down
Reyna Fendrel

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks Galore at Flourish and Blotts!   10/9/2013, 8:53 pm

Reyna sized Dimia up as she rambled just slightly. It was obvious the girl was noble, but even more obvious that she was a bit....what was the word? Different. Almost like she was fighting the urge to just run loose and be a kid. Reyna had known the feeling once; ladies-to-be didn't have childhoods.

"Yes, I'll be starting next year," she replied politely. "Do you know what house you'll be in? My older brother is in Slytherin, a third year; my father was Slytherin as well, and mother was a Ravenclaw. They're quite certain I'll be in either house.."

She blushed then, realizing how she was babbling like a brook. Her nursemaid always said "A lady does not chatter."

"Beg pardon," she apologized. "I shouldn't assume you know of houses; are you new to the wizarding world?"
Back to top Go down
Dimia Falaise

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks Galore at Flourish and Blotts!   10/14/2013, 12:07 pm

Dimia almost felt insulted that Reyna didn't think that she knew about houses.  Hold your tongue. Hold your tongue.the lady-like part of her brain said. Say something to correct her.another part said.

"Actually, no. I'm quite used to coming to Diagon Alley. My father used to come here on business and I would tag-a-long. Florean Fortescue's has the best treats this side of London."Dimia said, blushing just a bit. She was chattering a lot. She looked at her nursemaid. She was in line at check out still.

"And, yes, I'm quite familiar with houses. My father is a Gryffindor and my mother was Ravenclaw. I hope to be sorted into Gryffindor."Dimia said as kindly as possible. She didn't want to come off as rude but she also wanted the girl to know that she did have magical roots, that she wasn't a highborn mudblood. Not that there was anything wrong with mudbloods.

"So, what do you suppose the professors are like? I hear that the Transfiguartion teacher is quite eccentric."Dimia asked, looking at other books. The Heart of a Servant: A Book on Healing Magic. How boring.Dimia thought, putting it back.
Back to top Go down
Reyna Fendrel

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks Galore at Flourish and Blotts!   10/14/2013, 4:41 pm

Reyna raised an eyebrow as the girl talked and talked. Being the eldest daughter had its perks, but not where friendship was involved. She was always too busy to really talk with other girls her age. Her mother always had her practicing at her needlework or learning how to manage the household and speak with a mixture of kindness and authority. That, of course, was when she wasn't busy with her tutor; learning languages, or memorizing house sigils, history, the names of important people, etc.

"That's coincidental, both our mothers being Ravenclaw," she mentioned, before realizing how stupid she must sound. "I suppose not really, since there are only four houses."

She took a moment to think on Dimia's question about the professors. Symon rarely spoke of them unless they really made an impression or did something ridiculous.

"Symon doesn't talk much about them," she confessed, twisting a lock of hair around her finger. "The flying teacher is supposedly really strict, she's also the defense teacher. Apparently she and the potions master have some sort of rivalry."
Back to top Go down
Dimia Falaise

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks Galore at Flourish and Blotts!   10/15/2013, 9:30 pm

"I'm not surprised. Gryffindor's and Slytherin's have always been rivals. She's probably a Gryffindor and the potions master is probably the Slytherin."Dimia said, looking for a book with pictures in it. Her nursemaid came up.

"Dimia, we must go get your robes soon. The store is about to....oh! I beg your pardon, miss! I didn't realize that you were discussing with this fine young lady. I shall wait outside. Excuse me."her nursemaid said, ducking her head and leaving the store. Dimia resisted the urge to giggle. Her nursemaid was normally never like that. But, she was still just a servant of the house.

"Well, as you can see, I must take off. It's been a pleasure to meet you Reyna. I hope to see you at Hogwarts!"Dimia said happily. She gave the girl a small curtsy and left the store, happy that she had made a friend.
Back to top Go down
Reyna Fendrel

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks Galore at Flourish and Blotts!   10/17/2013, 3:27 pm

Reyna smiled politely and said goodbye to Dimia, watching the girl curiously as she left the shop. Then, she remembered Symon saying the teacher was a Ravenclaw. Oh well, she thought, turning to the shopkeeper.

"Excuse me, could you keep these safe somewhere?" she asked, handing over her book stack. "I'd like to look around a bit more."

The man set the books on a stool behind the counter and Reyna headed to the Everyday Charms section. Being a wizarding family, House Fendrel kept an all-wizard household; as nobles, they had to use their magic a lot, and it would do no good to have muggle cooks, servants, guards, and the like witness it. Lord or not, the King would have her father's head (or worse) if he was discovered to be a wizard. Reyna had seen the servants use common charms quite often, and they seemed the most practical to her.

A bright blue volume on the top shelf with no wording on the spine of it immediately caught her attention. She edged timidly toward a lad a bit farther down on a ladder and spoke up.

"Pardon me, goodman; might you reach a book for me?" At second glance, she realized he wasn't a man, but a boy her age.

((OOC: goodman or goodwoman are titles used in place of Mister or Miss in the Middle Ages if you don't know a person's rank in society. Mainly used with commoners.))
Back to top Go down
Petyr Martell
Hufflepuff: Year 1
Hufflepuff: Year 1

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks Galore at Flourish and Blotts!   11/17/2013, 9:29 pm

Petyr was searching high and low for gently used textbooks. The clerk said that they were floating around. If he could find them, he could have them half off. So, of course, Petyr was busy trying to locate these textbooks when a young lady asked for his help.

"Of course. The blue one, right?"Petyr asked, climbing up there. He grabbed the book and handed it to the young lady. She was attractive with red hair and blue eyes. But, she was obviously a noble.

"Here you go Miss."he said, handing it to her.

"My name is Petyr. How do you do?"Petyr said, trying his best to be a polite gentleman.
Back to top Go down
Reyna Fendrel

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks Galore at Flourish and Blotts!   12/5/2013, 2:35 pm

Reyna smiled politely and took the book from him. She flipped through the pages to get an idea of what it was about. Illustrations caught her eye here and there, and she realized it was an old storybook.

"I'm Reyna Fendrel," she responded, looking up at him. "Might I ask what you're doing up there?"

She glanced around the shop hesitantly for the shopkeeper. Reyna didn't frequent bookstores, but she was fairly positive only workers were allowed to use the ladders in this place. Turning the blue book over in her hands, a sudden small bout of curiosity struck her.

"I wonder what a book of tales is doing in this section," Reyna said thoughtfully. "Clearly this shop isn't very well organized, I found a cookbook in the Defense section earlier."

Reyna stopped and studied the boy again.

"Do you know, you look quite a bit like my brother."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Textbooks Galore at Flourish and Blotts!   

Back to top Go down

Textbooks Galore at Flourish and Blotts!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1