Hogwarts Medieval

The magic lives on! Step back in time (about 700 years, to be exact) and enter Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, only a few centuries after it was founded!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» A Skurge Upon All (2nd Year)
9/8/2017, 10:42 pm by Mira Catrain

» Epoximise! (2nd Year)
7/5/2017, 11:15 pm by Marigold Belet

» A Noble Rescue
7/5/2017, 10:55 pm by Marigold Belet

» Tea Leaves, Anyone?
6/27/2017, 1:20 am by Petyr Martell

» Halloween Dance! (1351)
6/23/2017, 11:46 pm by Headmistress Ellington

» "Report Cards"
6/20/2017, 6:42 pm by Kolby Parry

» Party Prep!
8/12/2016, 1:15 am by Deirdre McCalahan

» Party Like a Badger!
7/25/2016, 1:36 am by Deirdre McCalahan

» Some Fresh Air
7/23/2016, 9:29 pm by Professor Renoir

» Quidditch Tryouts 1351
7/23/2016, 9:12 pm by Arya Lannister

Beware!
 photo b9a721cd-7e6b-4cda-a1f4-a3706998472b_zpsa363bf54.jpg
Top posting users this month
Mira Catrain

Adelaine Beaumont

Arya Lannister

Ratings!

Shadowplay Topsites

Share | 

The Apothecary

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Professor Aitken
Slytherin Head of House
Slytherin Head of House

PostSubject: The Apothecary   12/15/2012, 3:56 pm

Professor Aitken drifted into the door of the Apothecary with grace only a witch might have. She had a list of supplies that she needed to purchase for the upcoming term in her hand. With a flick of her wand she rung the bell on the counter waiting for the slimy Shopkeeper.

It was well known the Shopkeeper was not a man to be trusted, but if one played their cards right they could get their ingredients for a fairly small price. Professor Aitken smirked as the portly man made his way behind the counter.

"Almira," he grunted, "what can I do for you today?"

"Edward, I've told you, call me Professor Aitken. I need to order some supplies to replinish my stores before the term starts, I hope you have what I need?"

"Almira, don't I always have what you need?" he said with a lewd grin.

"Please refrain from the disgusting comments. Now let's see... I need.."

Professor Aitken was about to read off her list when she heard the door open. She looked to the door and smiled.

"Why hello, fancy meeting you here? I presume you aren't here to purchase any Shrivelfigs?"

Ravenclaw Head Of House
Ravenclaw Head Of House

PostSubject: Re: The Apothecary   12/15/2012, 9:48 pm

Marguerite Renoir shuffled along the cobblestone streets of Diagon Alley, making her way toward the Apothecary. Of course, she would much rather be making her way toward the new book shop - Flourish and Blotts. It had opened at the beginning of the year and she had yet to stop by.

"Pardon me," she muttered politely as she pushed her way through the crowd. Why was it so busy today?

She stopped in her tracks to look in the store windows. They had the newest addition of first year spell books on sale and the line was out the large wooden doors. Marguerite had no time to observe her potential students, however. She was on "official" school business.

Pushing open the door of the Apothecary, something even worse than the sickening smell of ingredients greeted her. Professor Almira Aitken.

"Almira, lovely to see you," she sneered, hardly glancing in her direction. "Done something new with your hair, have you?"

Looking straight ahead at the grimy old shopkeeper, Renoir sauntered past the Potions master and leaned over the stained and chipped counter.

"I believe you have something for me?" she said quietly, with a knowing smile. It had been quite a hassle getting the man to agree to this, and had taken all the cunning she had in her. But then, all one really needs in order to get her way is wit and charm.

"Certainly, m'lady," he nodded fervently, reaching down under the counter and pulling out a small wooden chest. "Been waitin' about a week for you to come."

The chest shook violently and Marguerite smiled, pulling out a small pouch of galleons.

Slytherin Head of House
Slytherin Head of House

PostSubject: Re: The Apothecary   12/15/2012, 11:23 pm

Of course, Almira tried to be polite when Marguerite walked in, but the Ravenclaw Head could not let old grudges lie. Almira thought it shady of Marguerite to be doing business here, when in fact she had no use for potions as it was not her class.

"I believe the man was serving me Marguerite, I'm sure whatever ungodly thing you have in that box can wait while I fill out my order for Hogwarts." she said slyly, turning the man's attention back to her.

"My apologies m'am, what did you need?"

Almira leaned on the counter, sneakily moving the box towards her and smiled charmingly at the man.

"I would like everything on this list, I think this will cover the costs?" she handed him the list and a sack filled with several galleons.

"Right away m'am, I'll be back to service you in a moment m'lady," the man said as he scurried off into the recesses of the shop.

Turning towards her fellow professor Almira said with a smirk, "It would prove wise if you were to tell me what exactly is in that box, I wouldn't want to bring the Headmistress into anything."

Almira brought out her wand and raised it to the box...

Ravenclaw Head Of House
Ravenclaw Head Of House

PostSubject: Re: The Apothecary   12/15/2012, 11:36 pm

Marguerite fixed her eyes coldly on the Potions professor's hands with a smirk as they "slyly" slid the box. What was this woman playing at? She dared to bring out her wand? As if Marguerite Renoir would so much as twitch. Aitkens was not intimidating in the least, and it was time she was reminded.

"Let's not play such childish games, Almira," she jeered, not even bothering to pull out her wand. "If you must know, Ellington is fully aware of this."

She lightly dusted off the areas the other woman touched and nudged the box closer to her. Why not have a bit of fun?

Quickly whipping out her wand, Renoir tapped the box and watched as the locks unhinged themselves. Boggarts were always the best way to start a term...

Slytherin: Year 2

PostSubject: Re: The Apothecary   12/15/2012, 11:49 pm

A stoic-faced man and his boy walked into the shop quietly. The boy almost matched the gaze of his father, but his expression more resembled a sense of subtle impatience. He hated the smell of the apothecary; it would've been tolerable if it were just spices and herbs, but no—it seemed like anything that could be eaten in hope of positive (or negative) effects had been killed and left to either dry or pickle in the shop, and the fragrance mixed with the otherwise pleasant scents of flowers, roots, seeds, barks, and leaves.

"Do not touch anything, Deidrick."

Deidrick looked at his father, and watched the man's hand wave aloofly at him before he walked away to speak with the shop owner. The boy gave a tiny sneer; it was typical father-son interaction between them, but he never liked it when he was so easily dismissed, especially right before he would leave to Hogwarts for a good number of months. It didn't seem to make a difference, but whatever. He was, in some ways, used to it.

He walked about the apothecary quietly, silently overhearing the two women talk. Deidrick's father, seeing that the owner was busy, clicked his tongue and went over to one of the shelves to look over some more exclusive, rare items. Deidrick peered around one of the smaller shelves to observe the conversation between the two women. What was in that box anyway? He took a quick gander at his father—who was now clearly distracted as he tapped softly at the front counter, waiting for the shop owner to return—before he looked back at the women again.

a more clever devil.
Back to top Go down
Professor Aitken
Slytherin Head of House
Slytherin Head of House

PostSubject: Re: The Apothecary   12/16/2012, 12:05 am

Marguerite wasn't acting very Ravenclaw like, if anything she was acting the stereo-typical vindictive Slytherin. It couldn't have irked Almira more. When Marguerite opened the box, Almira was expecting anything, anything but a boggart that is. The boggart quickly changed form as it was released from it's box, like all boggarts it changed into the thing she feared most. A small child appeared, looking to be around the age of five, he held a blanket in his hand and wore pajamas.

"Why?" asked the little boy.

"I'm sorry." Almira whispered as she cast the counter-spell and made the boy appear in an ape suit.

With another flick of her wand, Almira sent the boggart back to its box and blinked to clear her eyes from the unshed tears.

"How very Slytherin of you Marguerite, but it was not very professional. Seeing as you are so quick to demonstrate your lesson plans, I'd be more than happy to give you one of the final potions my students will make for curing boils. You'll never catch a man with those things."

Realizing there was a boy listening into their conversation, Almira straightened her back and turned to him.

"I'm sorry young man, for my colleague's lack of decorum, we were simply discussing the upcoming term. My name is Professor Aitken, what might yours be?"

Almira turned her back on Marguerite, and graced the boy with a rare small smile.

Professor
Professor

PostSubject: Re: The Apothecary   12/16/2012, 2:37 am

Even if Nathaniel didn't teach Potions, it certainly helped to have a spare Potions kit lying around the house if he ever felt the need to dabble in a spot of potions-brewing for whatever reason. And that was precisely why he was quietly humming a tune to himself and strolling along Diagon Alley until he reached the shady Potions shop he didn't enjoy going to.

The shopkeeper barely even glanced over him as he entered the store, something he was definitely used to. Perusing the various items hastily arrayed and set out for display along the shelves, he read out lists and potions recipes in his mind. What would he need? Nathaniel had a habit of immediately setting out to purchase things as soon as he saw that he was even close to running out of something, be it toilet paper or Potions supplies or golden statues (a funny story). How about that- wait, he knew he had a perfectly fine bag of the roots lying around somewhere at home. A simple Accio would send it whizzing into his hand, ready for usage. No need to buy another one just now. But those berries looked quite ripe and promising, perhaps he would purchase- there was a stash of them locked away inside one of the kitchen cupboards.

Whew. His almost obsessive attention to order was certainly going to put a damper on things when going shopping. He was almost contemplating leaving the store entirely when he heard something quite interesting.

Aitken and Renoir were having quite a heated argument as a stoic young boy who looked to be starting for Hogwarts looked silently on. What a curious situation! Nathaniel made his presence known and waved a friendly hello to the whole group. He didn't want to make enemies so early on in the year.

"Hello there, Almira, Marguerite. And hello there young man! I'm Professor Wilkins-Gregory and I'll be your Charms professor for the new year." He loved talking to the ickle firsties.
Back to top Go down
Professor Renoir
Ravenclaw Head Of House
Ravenclaw Head Of House

PostSubject: Re: The Apothecary   12/16/2012, 9:17 am

If she must admit it (to herself), Marguerite felt a bit bad. One's fear could do terrible things. Although, the sight did make her a bit more curious. Who was the little boy to Almira? Clearly something dark had happened in her past. But then, doesn't something dark happen in everyone's past?

"Well, I've always said," Renoir started, pulling the box back to her side. "Our two houses are really no different. Though, yours does lack quite a bit of brains."

The young boy peering at them looked to be about 11. Of course, she had never seen him before, so he must be starting Hogwarts. Marguerite could have jinxed herself; how positively ridiculous to let a first year have this sort of first impression of you. If there was one thing Renoir couldn't stand (aside from Almira) it was that no one took her seriously as a Defense teacher. At 27 years old, the Headmistress knew she was the best person for the job, but that didn't seem to matter to anyone else.

"Your potions master has quite a way of wording things," she forced a smile, cutting her eyes back at Almira. "I am Professor Renoir, I shall be your Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor."

With a ring of a bell, someone new had entered the store and was making his way over to them. It took her a moment to place him; she and Nathaniel Wilkins-Gregory had never had much interaction. In fact, she secretly thought Charms to be a rather dull subject when compared with D.A.D.A.

"Nathaniel, how nice to see you out and about," she mused, flashing a brilliant smile.

PostSubject: Re: The Apothecary   12/16/2012, 7:02 pm

Deidrick watched the unveiling boggart and the following reactions. The image of a little boy the boggart assumed was curious, though didn't seem much important considering the professor's response to it. Either the professor was very good at hiding fear, or the boggart made a mistake. Whatever the case, he was relieved the the boggart hadn't chose him to unleash its powers against.

He kept silent still as he observed the two going back and forth, and then stepped all the way from behind the shelves and into the walkway of the shop. Deidrick found the dark-haired professor interesting; she came across rather passive aggressive, something that the boy wasn't very fond of. Passive aggression was all too common in his homelife.

But he said nothing, and gave a small grin and nod.

"I'm Deidrick Blevins."

He glanced at the blonde professor before he looked at the approaching man. Another professor, it seemed. His lucky day. He didn't know if it was a good or bad sign just yet, though. Deidrick gave another curt nod, and then turned his attention to the blonde professor.

The "lack of brains" comment was rather interesting, albeit insulting, but it gave the boy a hint as to which house this woman belonged to. Which house would be, after all, so concerned with intelligence anyway? Ravenclaw. Maybe Renoir was the head of house? If that were true, then Aitken would be the Slytherin head of house.

"Nice to meet you."

He honestly wasn't the excited, foot-in-mouth child that most adults expected of him, or any child his age. As well, he didn't feel like dealing with the consequences of saying something that would displease his father at the moment (especially when the man was in earshot distance). It was best if he said as little as possible.

a more clever devil.
Back to top Go down
Professor Aitken
Slytherin Head of House
Slytherin Head of House

PostSubject: Re: The Apothecary   12/16/2012, 10:00 pm

Bloody Marguerite, if she was as intelligent as she claimed she would know that being intelligent was one of the main requirements to be a Slytherin. Sharing that information was sure to get her off her high horse.

"Oh, Marguerite, you seem to have forgotten that to be in Slytherin one must be intelligent. I'm sure the notion must have flown from your large head when... well you know to what I'm referring. As I always say "Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings." That pretty much describes your house. Slytherin aren't only cunning and intelligent, they're also ambitious and won't let anyone or anything get in their way. You'd be wise to remember that Marguerite, seeing as you are so wise after all."

Seeing Nathaniel walk in, Almira greeted him warmly, as warmly as a Slytherin Head of House could be that is. She rather liked Nathaniel, though he wasn't Head of a prestigious house like herself, he was certainly entertaining. Almira thought his quirks to be humorous,unlike Marguerite who drove Almira slightly unhinged. Almira could never be what one calls all the way unhinged in public. It wasn't ladylike, too bad her colleague didn't seem to have any manners whatsoever.

"Deidrick Blevins, I believe I know your father. I would say something about him, but your ears are much too young to hear such vulgarity. Are you aiming at becoming a Slytherin this term? My house is always open for new cunning folk."

PostSubject: Re: The Apothecary   12/17/2012, 10:19 am

"That only means that intelligence needs ambition, not that ambition needs intelligence... professor."

Deidrick could at least appreciate one thing about his own father—the man was consistent in how he saw the world and the people in it. And while his father prided himself in his intellect, Deidrick and his father were sure of one thing: there are many witches and wizards, dumber than a box of rocks, who have come and gone from the Slytherin house. One can be ambitious in what one wants, and still be stupid to what one is really trying to accomplish.

Perhaps a desire to be intelligent, or the illusion of thinking one is intelligent, could also make one a Slytherin. Tragic, but true, and it is one of the reasons why Deidrick's father worked to make the boy cultured and intelligent, for as much as his young age could allow.

Of course, the boy wasn't foolish enough to say that to the Slytherin head of house, especially when the school year hadn't even begun yet. As well, he also wouldn't mention that intelligence was more of a prominent trait of Ravenclaw than it was of Slytherin. (And yet some Ravenclaws he has met through his father seemed crazier than they were smart.) Deidrick had a habit of being too blatant for people's prides.

Deidrick furrowed his brows slightly at Aitken due to her comment about his father. While his father was many things in the boy's mind, more bad than good, he didn't appreciate this stranger offending a part of his family. Especially a Slytherin like herself. As well, it didn't help the matter any more when Deidrick felt a familiar, firm, heavy hand on his shoulder. He looked and behind him to see his father.

"Almira. I see you met my son."

The man's tone of voice was as smooth as his stoic expression. However, Deidrick was quick enough to pick up on a subtle hint of displeasure.

"However, I'm sure you're quite capable of upholding a sense of honor when speaking about me, a Slytherin like yourself, to my only child. After all, your house prides itself in honor, and you've seemed to have so easily demonstrated a lack of honor yourself, when of all people, such a trait should be very easy for you to uphold in your position."

a more clever devil.
Back to top Go down
Professor Renoir
Ravenclaw Head Of House
Ravenclaw Head Of House

PostSubject: Re: The Apothecary   1/4/2013, 9:13 pm

Marguerite only half-listened to Almira's little rant. She heaved a sigh. The woman was getting rather boring.

"And as I always say, Almira, knowledge is our greatest weapon. You can do anything if you have the knowledge to do so. Ambition goes hand in hand with knowledge; we seek knowledge because of our ambition to learn. Ambition needs intelligence or it will get you nowhere."

With that said, Marguerite called the shop keeper back over to pay him. It was high time she leave the wretched smelling store and get on with her business. She still had quite a few places to visit, the most important being the new book store. One could never have too many books if you asked her.

"Mister Blevins, how lovely to see you again," she smiled broadly as she tucked the chest under one arm. "Deidrick, Gregory, I look forward to seeing you soon! Almira, dear, do fix your hair."

She gave one more quick smile to Deidrick's father and then hurried out of the store into a very welcome burst of fresh air.

Hufflepuff: Year 2
Hufflepuff: Year 2

PostSubject: Re: The Apothecary   1/7/2013, 8:44 am

Morgana walks into the apothecary.holding onto her hogwarts letter and items list, she begins to look around for everything she needs. seeing others in there she blushes shyly. "hey there" she mutters slightly hoping not to sound rude
Back to top Go down
Professor Wilkins-Gregory
Professor
Professor

PostSubject: Re: The Apothecary   1/11/2013, 4:05 pm

The two brazen women were like ticking bombs next to him. They were fighting and making digs at each other like the world would explode at any moment. Frankly, Nathaniel found it disturbing and also a little bit frightening. He had no problem with disputes normally, but those two had a kind of deep-seated rivalry that unnerved him.

Yeah. Best to stay out of this.

He hummed an idle tune to himself as he continued glancing over the various items in stock. A little of this, a little of that. He didn't really have to do his Potions shopping, but it was good to be out and about, get some fresh air and all that positive stuff.

The two women were nice enough on their own, but together they were a real headache. Deidrick's father looked sort of...eerie as well, stoic and collected but also sort of unworldly. His son was rather quiet too, probably ran in the family. He'd forgotten what it was like to be a child. Didn't all children run around excitedly, caught up in their own little world, and say "Good day sir!" to anyone who cared to listen? Huh. The times had changed, that was for sure.

He glanced back at the ticking bombs and saw that Marguerite had breezily swooshed past him and exited the store. "I...better be off soon, as well." Nathaniel paid for his supplies, waved a final wave to the others and left, not noticing the shy first-year who'd just walked in.

PostSubject: Re: The Apothecary   

Back to top Go down

The Apothecary
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1