Hogwarts Medieval

The magic lives on! Step back in time (about 700 years, to be exact) and enter Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, only a few centuries after it was founded!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» A Skurge Upon All (2nd Year)
9/8/2017, 10:42 pm by Mira Catrain

» Epoximise! (2nd Year)
7/5/2017, 11:15 pm by Marigold Belet

» A Noble Rescue
7/5/2017, 10:55 pm by Marigold Belet

» Tea Leaves, Anyone?
6/27/2017, 1:20 am by Petyr Martell

» Halloween Dance! (1351)
6/23/2017, 11:46 pm by Headmistress Ellington

» "Report Cards"
6/20/2017, 6:42 pm by Kolby Parry

» Party Prep!
8/12/2016, 1:15 am by Deirdre McCalahan

» Party Like a Badger!
7/25/2016, 1:36 am by Deirdre McCalahan

» Some Fresh Air
7/23/2016, 9:29 pm by Professor Renoir

» Quidditch Tryouts 1351
7/23/2016, 9:12 pm by Arya Lannister

Beware!
 photo b9a721cd-7e6b-4cda-a1f4-a3706998472b_zpsa363bf54.jpg
Top posting users this month
Ratings!

Shadowplay Topsites

Share | 

Flourish and Blotts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Adelaine Beaumont
Ravenclaw: Year 2

PostSubject: Flourish and Blotts   12/11/2012, 6:06 pm

Adelaine wrapped her cloak tightly around her as she waved goodbye to her parents. They were off to Knockturn Alley on "business", and Adele was left to wander around the jagged cobblestone streets of Diagon Alley. Not that she minded at all. Diagon Alley was positively the greatest place on earth in her opinion; aside from Hogsmeade, of course. Ever since she could remember, her family had taken her here on weekends when they weren't busy. Afternoons walking the bustling streets, exploring each odd shop, were Adelaine's best memories.

Turning quickly on her heel, she made her way to her favorite store: Flourish and Blotts. Not only could she go ahead and purchase her school books, she could get a head start on reading them as well. She had spent quite a bit of time sitting in the cozy little corner of the store reading up on beasts, duels, and enchantments.

Adele was just about to push open the large wooden door of the store when a shout stopped her in her tracks. She turned, quite alert, to the direction of the noise, not sure what to expect. At the same moment, a rather shabby gray cat with something in its mouth darted between her legs and she gave a cry as she tumbled to the ground.

Slytherin: Year 2

PostSubject: Re: Flourish and Blotts   12/11/2012, 8:03 pm

Nadia glared at the people who rushed past her, it seemed to her no one these days had any common courtesy. Her mother and father hadn't accompanied her on her trip to Diagon Alley, rather she was being chaperoned by her house elf, Hanky. Hanky wasn't the smartest of elves however, and it seemed she had lost her mistress in the crowd. Nadia paid no attention, and carried on her way to Flourish and Blotts. Apparently Galileo had released another book on his theories of astronomy, and she wished to pick up that and the required books for the upcoming school year.

Nadia stopped on her journey to observe the adorable animals that were on display outside the pet shop, one particular gray cat caught her eye. Quickly glancing to make sure no one was watching, Nadia slipped a hand into the display and brought out the shabby cat. She pet it as it purred, careful to keep her letter from its claws, and reached into her bag to see if she had any treats. However, as she was looking in her bag, the cat leaped from her hands, grabbed her Hogwarts letter from her hand, and sprinted away.

With a shout, Nadia raced after the cat that all too conveniently lead her to Flourish and Blotts. Nadia dodged the various elbows and other body parts that came her way and went flying through the crowd. "Bloody cat," she muttered. Seeing the cat slip through the door, causing a girl about her age fall she faltered in her pursuit. Help the girl? Or grad the cat? Hell, the cat probably ate my list by now better help her up. "Why hello there, as comfortable as the floor may be, would you like a hand up?" Nadia asked, offering her hand to the fallen girl. Perhaps this girl might be attending Hogwarts with her, and if her looks were any clue she was probably an aristocrat like Nadia. It would be beneficial to acquire allies before the term began.

Hufflepuff: Year 2

PostSubject: g   12/14/2012, 2:13 am

Gwendolen was excited for a trip to Diagon Alley, she had finally received her Hogwarts letter and was eager to begin buying her supplies.

Come on, Father, you're being so slow! Gwen exclaimed, I want to get my stuff now, not in 10 years!

Her father sighed, Aubrey had been much less excited when he had been to Diagon Alley 2years ago. Tell you what, darling, how about you run along ahead, while I'll stop at Gringotts, there, that ought to calm her down a bit while he went to go look at wares for selling and trading.

That was all Gwendolen needed to hear before she rushed off though the narrow cobble stoned street. Halfway down the alley she heard, and saw, quite a comotion. There was a girl chasing a cat who knocked over another girl. Gwen stopped fast and changed her destination to see what was going on, the other girls looked about her age and she adored cats too.

Hello, are you okay?
Back to top Go down
Adelaine Beaumont

PostSubject: Re: Flourish and Blotts   12/14/2012, 2:21 pm

Adelaine smiled kindly at the girl and took her hand, pulling herself up off the cold ground. Feeling rather foolish, she dusted herself off and looked around. The cat seemed to be lingering by the ice cream shop a few doors down tearing at the letter in his mouth.

"What's that he's got?" she asked curiously. "Won't you be needing it?"

The words had barely gotten out of her mouth when another girl about their age joined them, asking if everything was okay. Adele smiled shyly and nodded, glancing back at the cat.

"That ruddy cat seems to have gotten a hold of something belonging to..er.." She looked back at the first girl to arrive. "I'm sorry, what is your name? Mine's Adele."

PostSubject: Re: Flourish and Blotts   12/14/2012, 11:10 pm

Nadia sighed in exasperation, the cat seemed to have already devoured majority of her letter and to try and retrieve it would most likely prove useless. However, she would not let the flea infested fur ball to get away with its actions, oh no it (being unsure of its gender) would pay.

"That rascal, it seems, felt like taking my Hogwarts letter from me, thus me chasing it. I do rather need it as it holds the supply list for the term, but I suppose I could try and find another first-year Hogwarts student and copy their list. Who knows how long that'll take though? And I can't even begin doing that until I get my revenge on the mangly thing." Nadia said, stressed.

Turning to address the newcomer, another girl who looked to be about her age, she realized she had been of poor manners and had not introduced herself!

"I'm Nadia Murray, I'm sure you've heard of my family. Adele, are you of the Beaumont family perhaps? And... you are?"

Nadia loved meeting people, but if she didn't hurry the cat would make its escape. Nadia eyed it wearily, suspicious.

Gryffindor: Year 2

PostSubject: Re: Flourish and Blotts   12/15/2012, 2:08 pm

"Magic Drafts and Potions, The Dark Forces, Standard book of spells...."

Adalaide's father muttered to himself whilst walking through the bookstore. His finger glided over the book spines, and his daughter, Adalaide, wandered off towards a different bookshelf. He was too focused on finding those textbooks for her, and interrupting him would only prolong the process.

It wasn't the first time she had visited Flourish and Blotts; her father was acquainted with the owners, or owner... she wasn't sure who they were exactly—and it didn't really matter to her. Adalaide's focus, just like her father's, was engrossed in other things, like the myriad of colorful fiction books in front of her. If only what money they saved for this one trip allowed for a small book splurge.

"Ada? Ada dear? ...Ah, there you went."

"Did you find the books?"

"Yes! And I found this for you."

Ada's father held out a books titled Arithmancy of Novices . The girl gasped softly and took the book before she looked up at her father with a happy smile.

"Really? I thought there was only enough for my textbooks."

"There's just enough left over for this. It's rather used, but I know you'll treat it with the respect it deserves."

"Thank you, Daddy."

Ada hugged her father's waist and felt a kiss on the top of her head. She had always tried to read through the arithmancy books her father had, but they were much too advanced in language and magical nature. He had long given away his older novice arithmancy books, and knew Ada had yearned for something more at her level of understanding. She was a fast learner, though, so he trusted it wouldn't be long before he'd get an owl asking for another book.

The daughter and father headed to the front counter to buy the textbooks. On the way, Ada paused while her father kept on towards the counter; she looked at the events happening more towards the front of the shop as someone took a fall. Ada watched from a some yards away as three girls began to interact and complain about the shop cat. She didn't blame them for doing so—that cat was much too mischievous and mean for her liking. She enjoyed sweet, docile cats that liked to sleep on one's lap and purr.

So she quietly walked over to the trio, not sure if walking in on their conversation would be welcomed. But then she looked over at the cat and saw him gnawing on a piece of parchment, and overheard one of the girls saying the parchment was actually the girl's Hogwarts letter. Ada carefully walked over to the cat and bent down. The cat growled and gave a half-hearted hiss as she grabbed his scruff. His body tensed and grew still, but it gave Ada the chance to take the letter—what was left of it at least.

She released him and he tagged her shoe.

"Shoo!"

The cat ran off, clearly appalled that the eleven-year-old ruined his victory. Ada sighed and then walked back towards the girls, specifically towards the girl that the letter belonged to.

"This is yours?"

She held out the letter. It was soggy at one of the edges and one third of the whole thing was eaten away.

"Sorry... that cat is always chewing on parchment when my parents and I come to the shop. I tried to save what I could of the letter, though, before I got attacked."

PostSubject: Re: Flourish and Blotts   12/15/2012, 3:06 pm

Nadia looked at the wet paper with disgust. That beast had taken her letter and ruined it! The cat would pay... and Nadia knew exactly how to get her revenge. Looking at the girl, Nadia snorted. Who did she thnk she was approaching someone obviously of a higher caliber than herself?

"I suppose I should thank you... for nothing! Imbecile cat chews up my letter and you think recieving it back, with slobber dripping from it no less, will make me happy? Ugh, today is just not my day. Since you are here peasant you may as well show some manner and introduce yourself. I am Nadia Murray."

At that moment the cat came running back towards the girls, followed by the owner of the pet shop. The man scooped up the cat and tried to skid to a stop before running into the girls, however her couldn't and Nadia went down with a thump. The little blonde girl got back on her feet and began to yell at the man and his cat.

"Haven't you and your cat caused me enough trouble today? I can assure you my father will hear about this. Do you know who I am? I am Nadia Murray, and you have just crossed me you stupid man."

"Mademoiselle, I implore you, do not tell your father. In fact, take this cat in payment for the trouble I have caused you!"
The man shoved the cat into Nadia's arms and quickly returned to his shop. Nadia began to pet the furry beast and it purred.

"I shall call you Sir Joffrey. I wonder what Mum will think of you?"

PostSubject: Re: Flourish and Blotts   12/15/2012, 4:09 pm

Her parents had only relinquished her after much hugging, kissing and warnings of the shady people in Diagon Alley. Lisette grudgingly put up with it, then excitedly strolled off to peruse the many shops and various buildings without the constant Zeoko parents behind her, guarding her and shielding her and glaring disapprovingly if she so much as moved to take a few steps out of their sight. It was ridiculous, the way they coddled her and always made sure she was close to them. Come on! She was eleven years old already, and had what everyone called 'wisdom beyond her years'. It was perfectly fine for her to start taking steps towards her own independence. Even tiny little baby steps would be fine. She just didn't want to be always treated like a child anymore.

So this was a huge step for the overprotective Zeokos, letting their precious baby girl into the scary real world without their wise guidance behind her. Lisette would be just fine, surely. After all, there had to be other Hogwarts students shopping for their supplies here. It wasn't like they'd deserted her in Knockturn Alley. Besides, she had Jinx to keep her company. She smiled down at the faithful little black cat padding alongside her.

List clutched firmly in her hand along with a sackful of Galleons, she entered Flourish and Blotts to see a whole group of young girls talking to each other. From their heights she guessed they were around her age. Just then she heard a thump as a man she recognised as the shopkeeper of the pet store bumped into one of the girls. They had a conversation which didn't sound too friendly, then the man left with the cat in the girl's arms. Lisette approached the group cautiously.

"Is everything alright?"

PostSubject: Re: Flourish and Blotts   12/15/2012, 10:40 pm

She knows who I am? Adelaine thought to herself, not certain why it really surprised her. Everyone knew who the Beaumonts were. They had quite the reputation; though not a good one, depending on whom you asked. She could not for the life of her remember who the Murrays were, however. Probably just another prestigious upper class family like her own.

Adele stood awkwardly as the commotion continued to unravel in front of her. Soon enough, two more girls around her age had joined them, plus a tired old shopkeeper and the mangy cat who caused it all in the first place.

The sassy blonde girl had gotten her way, making a few more enemies on the way. Not believing her eyes, Adelaine stepped closer to the girl and decided to speak her mind for once.

"Who the devil do you think you are, talking to people that way?" she exclaimed, feeling her face getting hot. "Even the Beaumonts and Murrays know to show respect to those of all classes, particularly those who have shown nothing but kindness to you!"

Giving the girl one more look of utter disgust, the kind of look only one of high upper class can give, Adele turned on her heel and marched into the store. The shrill ring of the bell only annoyed her more as she made her way to the Defense section of the spell books.

PostSubject: Re: Flourish and Blotts   12/16/2012, 1:35 am

Gwendolen had let herself fade into the background once Nadia started thrashing the other for being helpfu, and poorl. Gwen had wanted to say something to the rude oneber, but Adele had stepped in a gave her a thorough scolding and headed into the shop.
Gwen froze for a moment trying to decide if she wanted to head into the new book shoppe with Adele or stay out here with Nadia. Gwen headed into the book store, Nadia would never notice, she ws busy with her new cat, not to mention she was dressed only slightly better than the other girl Nadia harangued.

Finding the girl in the defense section she finally introduced herself, "Hello, my name is Gwendolen, although, you can call me Gwen."
Back to top Go down
Nadia Murray

PostSubject: Re: Flourish and Blotts   12/16/2012, 11:33 am

Nadia knew she hadn't acted with the proper decorum, but she refused to apologize. Murrays never apologized. It wasn't like they were any better than she, giving the girl who had approached them not a word before entering the shop. Nadia would make "friends" today, even if she had to lie her way through it.

"Hello, I wish I could say everything was alright. Those girls seem to be angry at me, but I didn't mean anything by my words. I'd apologize, but they'd probably throw it right back at my face. Also, I'm afraid my parents won't be too willing to let me adopt this ball of fur. I'm being rude, my name is Nadia, and you are?" she said to the girl who had hair that seemed almost red in the sunlight.

Unknowingly, Nadia was avoiding the girl she had been so rude to. Nadia gestured towards the door, so they could re-commence their conversation inside.

PostSubject: Re: Flourish and Blotts   12/16/2012, 7:39 pm

Peasant? Ada's hand lowered the letter and blinked, startled by the girl's response. And manners? How could this girl demand manners when she was clearly incapable of giving them back? Privileged or not—Ada has met some upper class people who were very capable of manners. And Ada was far from peasantry; she had friends whose families were middle class, just like her family, and they had a servant or two themselves. Ada's parents didn't really like servants, mostly because her parents were a bit paranoid about having things taken, or her father feared servants would touch his experiments....

She stood and watched the blonde girl speak to a new girl. Ada could tell she was being avoided, especially after this girl was yelled at. However, she refused to allow this self-entitled blonde to degrade her. She crumbled the letter up and tossed it on the ground, near the blonde's foot, before she walked away. If it meant nothing to the blonde, then why should it mean anything to Ada? Ada saw no logical reason to fight fire with fire, and she certainly saw no reason to allow someone who knew nothing about her treat her like she were lower than dirt.

Ada walked over to her father who had finished paying for the textbooks.

"All done?"

"Yes. Now... how about we go get your wand, and then I'll buy you some chocolate."

She grinned warmly and wrapped her arms around his free one as they walked towards the shop entrance.

PostSubject: Re: Flourish and Blotts   12/17/2012, 5:45 am

Names flashed through her mind. Lisette knew these people - other upper-class aristocrats like herself. The Beaumonts. The Murrays. She didn't know the girl with bright red hair or the brunette who had headed out of the shop, presumably to follow the Beaumont girl, (pity, really, she'd certainly seemed nice enough but to walk away from the Murray girl now would just be plain rude)though. Middle-class, perhaps?

Oh Merlin, why was she even paying attention to this anyway? Were her snobby grandparents rubbing off on her or something? Whatever. Nadia (as she'd called herself) seemed... well, okay, she seemed rude and sassy, but also interesting in a strange way. It wouldn't be too bad to get to know her, and it would be nice to get to know a few people before the school year officially started. Even if there had definitely been quite a bit of drama going on before Lisette had entered. Evidently, Nadia had insulted the girl who'd just thrown a bit of paper at her feet. Beaumont had spoken up angrily then stamped off, and brunette girl had followed her. This was definitely not the best time to have walked in.

"A pleasure to meet you, Nadia. I am Lisette Zeoko." She smiled, nodded politely. Her eyes glanced downards, to where the 'ball of fur' was nestled in the crook of Nadia's arms. Awww. How cute! "Are you planning on naming it?" Bending down, she scooped a mewling Jinx into her arms. "My cat's name is Jinx, and she's very sweet. Cats are wonderful to keep as pets."

Complying with Nadia's gesture, they stepped into the bookshop.

PostSubject: Re: Flourish and Blotts   12/17/2012, 11:49 am

Adelaine slid a foot to the right where the Defense books ended and the...Offense books began? All these books were the same. The same idea, most of the same spells and charms, nothing original. Nothing like her father's book collection. Well, no one had a collection like her father. All dark arts, jinxes, and hexes. Of course, Adelaine was strictly forbidden to so much as touch the spines of those books. No, she was forced to sit down with a small selection of lighter spells (with a few small jinxes and hexes thrown in for variety) and counter-curses.

"Sir, might I purchase this copy of --" she began kindly before the grumpy shopkeeper snatched it right out of her hand.

"Absolutely not, my dear, you're much too young for that, no," he persisted, plopping the old book back down on the shelf.

What was the trouble in her buying a book about the dark arts? It's not like she would ever use it. A familiar voice behind her made her jump and she almost knocked a few copies off the shelf.

"Oh, hello," she smiled at Gwen, happy that her little rant had lost Nadia at least one acquaintance. "I'm Adele, it's lovely to meet you. Have you gotten your school books yet?"

PostSubject: Re: Flourish and Blotts   12/17/2012, 4:47 pm

Nadia thought Lisette seemed weary of her, as she very well should be. But Nadia had nothing up her sleeve at the moment so she thought the girl may have gotten the wrong impression of her. Lisette was already okay in her eyes, as she liked Nadia's new cat, and had a cat of her own. Maybe Lisette would be attending Hogwarts with her like many of the younger people in Diagon Alley were.

"Lisette is a very nice name. I actually just named my cat! His name is Sir Joffrey. Are you attending Hogwarts this term? Perhaps our cats could meet if you are, that's assuming my mother lets me keep him. But no worry, I have Father wrapped around my finger. I've never had an animal before, unless you count a house-elf. Are they hard to care for?"

Nadia knew she was rambling, so she gave Lisette time to process those many questions as she picked up the Charms book in front of her.

"How to Jinx Your Enemy For Beginners," she muttered to herself, "That won't do," she set the book down and picked up another, "How to Curse Your Enemies For Experts, this will come in handy."

She tucked the book under her arm with Sir Joffery, to make sure Lisette hadn't seen the title and smiled sweetly at her.

"I really need to purchase my school books, what say you?"

PostSubject: Re: Flourish and Blotts   12/17/2012, 6:07 pm

As Ada and her father were walking out of Flourish and Blotts, she suddenly tugged on his arm. Her father looked down at her and they paused just outside the shop entrance.

"Can I go back inside for a moment?" Ada asked, "I forgot something."

Her father gave a kind grin and nodded. "I'll be in the sweets shop, then. Don't be too long, love." Ada released his arm and walked back into the book shop. She stood in place and searched the shop, her gaze wandered over and between bookshelves before she saw what, or perhaps who, she was looking for.

She stepped further into the shop and towards the Defense section. There, she found the girl who scolded the other blonde from before, and with a brunette she hadn't seen yet.

"Pardon," Ada began. Her hands folded behind her back and she grinned kindly at the girl. "I wanted to say, thank you for... well, sort of defending me with that girl earlier. What you said means a lot."

She then glanced between the blonde and the brunette girl. "I'm Ada by the way. Ada... Adalaide Adams." She felt her cheeks grow warm when she realized how odd that must have sounded.

PostSubject: Re: Flourish and Blotts   12/31/2012, 8:39 pm

Adele quietly slid the little black book back off the shelf when she was certain the shopkeeper's eyes weren't on her. She wouldn't steal it, of course. But perhaps if she hid it somewhere in the shop her father would come back and purchase it for her.

"So, what house do you suppose you'll be sorted into?" she asked idly as she stacked her school books on top of the other so Gwen wouldn't see the title.

Before she could speak again, the auburn-haired girl from outside walked over to them. She couldn't help but feel pleased with herself when Ada thanked her for standing up for her outside.

"It disgusts me to see classes degrading each other, " she said, scooting ever-so-slightly to the side so that they now formed a triangle. "It's the 15th century, after all."

Peering out the shop window, Adelaine noticed the snoody girl and the girl who had walked over right before Adele had stormed away. Despicable, she thought irritably. Nadia had practically cornered the poor girl. Unless they were one in the same: snarky upper-class brats.

"My name is Adele, and this is Gwen," she said with a cheerful smile, almost forgetting her courtesies. "Will you be starting at Hogwarts as well?"

PostSubject: Re: Flourish and Blotts   

Back to top Go down

Flourish and Blotts
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1