Hogwarts Medieval
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts Medieval

The magic lives on! Step back in time (about 700 years, to be exact) and enter Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, only a few centuries after it was founded!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» The de Hattes Tourney -- 1352
A Small Gift Icon_minitime2/20/2021, 05:59 by Kolby Parry

» School Shopping!
A Small Gift Icon_minitime9/20/2020, 19:24 by Reyna Fendrel

» The First and The Last
A Small Gift Icon_minitime6/20/2020, 23:30 by Arya Lanister

» A Templar Picnic
A Small Gift Icon_minitime6/20/2020, 07:08 by Kolby Parry

» Detention: Letter Sorting
A Small Gift Icon_minitime6/16/2020, 05:10 by Professor Harcourt

» Epoximise! (2nd Year)
A Small Gift Icon_minitime5/4/2020, 12:00 by Professor Harcourt

» A Noble Rescue
A Small Gift Icon_minitime5/4/2020, 11:42 by Professor Harcourt

» A Skurge Upon All (2nd Year)
A Small Gift Icon_minitime9/8/2017, 23:42 by Mira Catrain

» Tea Leaves, Anyone?
A Small Gift Icon_minitime6/27/2017, 02:20 by Petyr Martell

» Halloween Dance! (1351)
A Small Gift Icon_minitime6/24/2017, 00:46 by Headmistress Ellington

*Magical Happenings*
~Summer Break~

~Wizard Festival~

~The Trial~

Top posting users this month
No user
Ratings!

Shadowplay Topsites

A Small Gift

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mira Catrain
Hufflepuff: Year 3
Mira Catrain

A Small Gift Empty
PostSubject: A Small Gift   A Small Gift Icon_minitime7/1/2016, 19:15

[[OOC: I have no plan in mind for this thread, so write about whatever]]

Mira climbed up the last few steps to the Owlery with Edwin, thankful there hadn't been any snow yet.

"They should put benches up here or something," Ed huffed.

"Why?" she asked, heading to stone table in the center.

"Every time I come up here, I always feel the need to nap for a minute," he replied, laying right down on the ground.

Mira laughed and rolled her eyes. He's brave to lay down up here, she thought. Owls are messy creatures. Speaking of owls! Storm, her black and gray barn owl, flew into the Owlery right then and there. He squawked in surprise when he saw her.

"Well, good afternoon," she smiled brightly. "What've you got there? A package?"

She untied the little package from his leg and gave him a treat. The package was really a small cloth bag tied with a ribbon, so she knew right away it was from her father.

"What is it?" Edwin asked, propping himself up on an elbow.

With a shrug, Mira carefully opened it. She nearly cried when she saw. Inside was an ancient pendant; solid gold, with a tarnished ruby. Running her fingers gently over the smooth gem, she teared up.

"What is it??" Ed asked again, jumping up and putting an arm around her. "Why're you crying?"

"It was my mother's," she told him. "It's been passed down for generations. I didn't know my dad had taken it when...nevermind. Anyway, there's a note."

She took a deep breath and opened it, grinning at her father's messy scrawl.

Mira,
Your mother was going to give this to you on your 12th birthday. I know she's smiling down on you now as you open this. Wear it to your dance. You'll make her proud showing it off. You know how important it was to her.

All our love,
Papa and Toren

They were tears of joy and sorrow, and Mira simply couldn't hold them back. Edwin held her as she cried, letting loose everything she'd held back since her mother's death. Storm pecked at her sleeve lovingly. They didn't even hear the footsteps ascending the stairs.
Back to top Go down
Dimia Falaise
Gryffindor: Year 2
Dimia Falaise

A Small Gift Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Small Gift   A Small Gift Icon_minitime7/3/2016, 00:26

"I still can't believe your father didn't give you an owl! How else are you supposed to keep in touch?" Elma asked, for the umpteenth time. Dimia sighed and continued up the stairs. Elma's sister, Elsa, and her friend Jon had been nice enough to walk the two first years to the Owlery. Dimia had a stack of letters to send and Elsa was going to let her borrow her owl to deliver the mail to Lincoln. Jon had scouted ahead to make sure there were no nasty Slytherins. Dimia had been there for the Templar meeting, per Elma and Elsa's invitation. She wasn't afraid of Slytherins, per say; she just tried to keep her distance for now on.

"I told you, Elma. My father doesn't like the post. He can barely tolerate it. That's why I've been saving my letters," Dimia told her friend, again. Elma rolled her eyes.

"Do you have a date for the dance Dimia?" Elma asked. Elsa seemed to smile at the thought of the dance but kept her mouth shut.

"Alec is going to take me," Dimia replied.

"Oooh! Mr. Promised. Are you excited? Do you have your dress picked out? Do you have butterflies in your stomach?" Elma asked really rapid fire. Dimia couldn't help but laugh and blush. She was excited, if not a little nervous. This was her first Hogwarts dance. And, she wanted it to be a good one.

"Yes, I'm excited. No, I don't have a dress yet. Yes, I know that it's coming up soon. And, yes, I'm a little nervous. What about you?" Dimia asked her in return, as they neared the top. Elma smiled, blushed, and looked away. Apparently, she didn't want to talk about her date either. Why are they so secretive? Dimia thought, taking a deep breath as they reached the top. She walked into the Owlery, seeing a boy and a girl hugging. Elsa gasped a little and Jon seemed to be in a state of disbelief.

"Oh! Hey, guys," the boy greeted. Dimia recognized him as Edwin. He was in the common room a lot. The girl was a Hufflepuff and looked like she had been crying. The air felt tense and awkward, so Dimia followed Elma to their owls.

"And this one is Grey. He'll get your packages where they need to go," Elma told her, gesturing to the Storm Owl. Dimia thanked her again, profusely as Elma tied her letters to the owl's leg and sent it on its way. Elma insisted that it was a non-issue. Then, she gasped and squealed, seeing a nest of baby Snowy owls and one black owl, which Dimia thought was a little strange.

"Awwwwwww! Look at them Dimia! You can have an owl now!" Elma said, reaching to pick it up. Dimia pulled Elma's hand back, as the mother owl stood over the babies protectively. But, these owls were bred for humans, so the mother allowed Elma to pick up on of her babies. Once Dimia saw that she wasn't attacked, she picked up a white baby as well, feeling it's soft down feathers.

"Elsa! Come look at this!" Elma exclaimed.
Back to top Go down
Mira Catrain
Mira Catrain

A Small Gift Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Small Gift   A Small Gift Icon_minitime7/3/2016, 00:59

Mira quickly wiped away her tears when she saw her friends. How embarrassing, she thought, mortified. She couldn't bring herself to look at Jon, feeling a tinge of guilt even though she'd done nothing wrong. He knew she had a thing for Edwin; why should she feel bad for his everlasting hope??

"Is everything okay?" Elsa asked gently.

"Yeah, my dad sent me my mum's old necklace," Mira explained, sniffling a bit. "It just brought up a lot of old memories, I'm fine. What're you two doing here?"

"Showing my sis and her friend around," she said. "Elma, c'mere!"

"I don't have time, there are babies!" Elma shouted.

"What does that even mean?" Jon asked, coming out of his trance.

"Baby owls!" Mira realized, rushing over to the nest. "Ohhhh, they're so cute!"

She carefully picked up the tiny little black one, and he nipped at her finger. Storm flapped his wings jealously and Mira laughed.
Back to top Go down
Dimia Falaise
Dimia Falaise

A Small Gift Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Small Gift   A Small Gift Icon_minitime7/3/2016, 01:15

Dimia was gently petting the baby owl she chose. She wanted to name it, but it wasn't hers to name. The mama owl seemed content with the attention her babies were getting. Again, post owls were very used to humans. They were bred to enjoy the interaction with humans. The baby owl seemed to purr in Dimia's hand if owls could purr.

Can owl's purr? Or, do they just vibrate? Does it have a specific name? Is this what cooing is? Or, is cooing something entirely different? What are owl noises called? Or, do they not have names and are just owl noises? So, the baby is just making owl noises? Dimia thought, getting on a sidetrack and derailing from reality for a moment.

"Oh. Dimia, this is Mira. She's a good friend. Mira, this is Dimia. She's Elma's friend and a Gryffindor," Elsa introduced quickly. Dimia snapped out of her state of mind.

"Hi. Nice to meet you," Dimia said with a smiled, shaking hands with Mira. The baby owl in her hand continued to cuddle up to Dimia.

"That one seems to like you," Edwin told her. Dimia laughed. It did like her a lot.
Back to top Go down
Mira Catrain
Mira Catrain

A Small Gift Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Small Gift   A Small Gift Icon_minitime7/3/2016, 02:01

Mira couldn't stop staring at the baby owl in her hand. Finally, Storm flew over and hooted loudly, making the baby flap its wings nervously.

"Storm, stop that!" she scolded the barn owl. "You're still cute, no need to be jealous."

She reached over and scruffed up Storm's feathers playfully.

"It's nice to meet you, Dimia," she smiled at the first year. "And you, Elma. I'm surprised you didn't go to London with us last summer."

"What?!" Elma shouted.

"Mira! Ugh," Elsa rolled her eyes. "Elma didn't know about the London trip."

"Ohhhhh...Sorry," Mira blushed.

"I can't believe it, you went to London without me?" Elma turned to her sister. "You know I've always wanted to go to London!"

"It was an adults only trip," Elsa shook her head, sighing.

Elma didn't find it worth it to point out that there were no adults on that trip, unless you counted Ella. She was 18, right? Mira decided to change the subject, and looked at Dimia.

"Dimia, you should think about keeping that owl," she suggested. "Although, you'd need to leave him with his mum until he's old enough to be on his own."

Back to top Go down
Dimia Falaise
Dimia Falaise

A Small Gift Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Small Gift   A Small Gift Icon_minitime7/5/2016, 00:52

"Of course. Of course," Dimia said, returning the baby to its mother. The mother nuzzled up to it and Dimia smiled. A sudden gust of wind came through Owlery and the baby chicks went flying. Dimia dove to catch the one she was petting earlier. The mother hooted worryingly as the babies were scattered around the Owlery.

"We're on a baby hunt! Find them!" Elma announced, looking around the Owlery. Dimia handed the mother it's baby back and went to close the window. She started looking for the baby owls.

"Everyone, be careful! You don't want to accidently step on them," Edwin told them.

"I found one!" Elsa called out. Dimia looked high and low. In nests. On the floor. Under things. Around things. Basically everywhere.

"Keep looking guys," Jon told everyone.
Back to top Go down
Mira Catrain
Mira Catrain

A Small Gift Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Small Gift   A Small Gift Icon_minitime7/7/2016, 01:16

The hunt for the owl babies was on! Mira and the others scrambled around the Owlery, careful not to step on any or fall out of the massive open-arch windows.

"Got one!" Ed shouted, lifting it triumphantly in the air.

"Here's another," Elsa exclaimed, placing it carefully back in the nest.

Mira found the little black owl in a corner and picked him up gently. Eventually, they'd rescued all the babies except one.

"He's up in the rafters," Jon frowned.

A small tan owlet had managed to fly all the way up to the wooden beams on the ceiling, and was hooting gleefully as if to say, "Ha ha, come and get me!"

"How do we get him?" Mira wondered, craning her neck. "None of us have brooms with us."

"Can't we leave him?" Edwin asked. "No, nevermind, I don't think he's able to get himself back down. Got yourself in quite a pickle, haven't you?"

Mira thought for a moment. The mother owl had flown off a second before, probably to pick up a package or something. Storm!

"Storm," she called to her owl. "Can you get him down??"

The barn owl looked at her with contempt. He wasn't so sure he wanted to save the little attention-sucker. After a second, though, he flew up to the rafters. Clutching the owlet in his talons, Storm brought him back down to safety.
Back to top Go down
Dimia Falaise
Dimia Falaise

A Small Gift Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Small Gift   A Small Gift Icon_minitime7/7/2016, 16:32

All the owlets had been gathered and were safe in the nest once more. The mother owl came back and nestled over them, keeping them safe from any more gusts.

"I hope you all mailed your post. The Owlery is closing," a grounds keeper told them. They said goodbye to the owls and began the trek down the stairs again.

"Elma, you never told me who's taking you to the dance," Dimia reminded her.

"Oh. It's just Cannon," Elma told her.

"Is that Asher's brother?" Elsa asked. Elma nodded and they continued to walk down the stairs.

"Dimia, we have to get you a dress! I thinking a nice scarlet with gold roses," Elma told her. Dimia laughed.

"I don't know. Red doesn't seem like her color. Maybe a nice blue," Elsa commented. Edwin and Jon groaned as they reached the bottom. Dimia managed to slip away, while Elsa and Elma argued.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Small Gift Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Small Gift   A Small Gift Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Small Gift
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hogwarts Medieval :: Hogwarts :: The Owlery-
Jump to: